Though tucked behind the walls, piping system choices can play an important role in green buildings, from energy efficiency to water quality to resource conservation. For projects seeking LEED v4 BD+C certification, FlowGuard Gold and Corzan piping systems can contribute toward credits under several headings.
• Materials & Resources: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization, Environmental Product Disclosures (Option 1). Specifiers can earn 1 point for including at least 20 products from five different manufacturers with disclosure material consisting of a product-specific declaration, an EPD, or a USGBC-approved program.
• Materials & Resources: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization, Environmental Product Disclosures (Option 2). Specifiers can earn 1 point for using products that comply with one of several criteria for 50%, by cost, of the total value of permanently installed products in the project. Structure and enclosure materials may not constitute more than 30% of the value of compliant building products.
• Materials & Resources: Construction and Demolition Waste Management, Diversion. Specifiers can earn 1-2 points by using recycled and/or salvaged nonhazardous construction and demolition materials.
• Materials & Resources: Healthcare, BPT Source Reduction: Lead, Cadmium and Copper. Specifiers can earn 2 points by specifying substitutes for material manufactured with lead and cadmium.
• Innovation: Building Material Human Hazard and Exposure Assessment (Pilot Credit). Specifiers can earn 1 point by using at least 5 different permanently installed products from at least two different manufacturers with validated hazard assessment and exposure for each substance.
• Innovation: Integrative Analysis of Building Materials (Pilot Credit). Specifiers can earn 1 point by using at least three different permanently installed products that have a documented qualitative analysis of the potential health, safety, and environmental impacts of the product in five stages of the product’s life cycle (product assembly/
manufacturing, building product installation, product use, product maintenance, end of